Friday, January 18, 2013

"Don't be a racehorse. Be a work horse."

I honestly do not know who said this and I'm not sure if it's even a quote, and furthermore I'm far too tired to open a new tab and google it, but I did HEAR it recently and it made me think alot about my writing.
{A.D.D. MOMENT: do you like how many times I used the word "and" in the above sentence?  I'm like Cormac Mccarthy up in here!}
After receiving some tough love from my writing group, I did have a moment that made me wonder where I was with my writing.  I've been writing from a wee age, started doing screenplays late in high school, all through college and continuing on from there.  In total, I'd say I've been "looking" at screenplays for about 10 years, writing ideas since I was in 2nd grade, but actually really learning structure, story, character and emotion for about 7 years now.  I've completed about 5-6 screenplays. I came close to having a manager years ago, but it didn't work out.  2009-2012 was somewhat dry once potential representation was dropped, but I have been determined ever since to get back into the game and see this through. 
It's tough as writer's when you hear stories about big spec sales going to guys and gals in their really early 20s, but I ask you: Where are those films?
Yes.  Films.
It's great when you sell something and it's great when you get signed, but dang, if your end game isn't to get a movie made, you need to seriously question why you write screenplays of all things.
I don't think we'll ever see a day where scripts are on people's shelves and enjoyed like stories are.  I have immense respect for S. Craig Zahler who topped the black list a few years back with his screenplay The Brigands of Rattleborge writing books as well as screenplays.  The man is a busy writer and it's great that he writes in all different fields (including metal, though I haven't heard his band).
Anyway, the title of this post was don't be a racehorse, be a work horse.
What I'm trying to say is don't rush into a career.  Don't rush your screenplays for coverage, don't send out first drafts and do as magician's do: "Show the trick when it's ready."  Life is pretty long so you should be patient with the unfolding of your writing and your writing career.  Be like a work horse and trot.  That way you'll conserve energy and work hard and break the walls down in your own time.

Peace,
Chuck Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment